Overview of Respiratory Disease & the Older Adult
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma are the top two chronic respiratory diseases contributing to the overall Canadian respiratory disease burden. These diseases are the third leading cause of death in adults aged 65 and older and they account for more than 50% of respiratory system deaths in Canada.
PLEASE NOTE: These courses are open to the public with no registration required. However, if you wish to access a Course Completion Certificate, you must be enrolled as a student. To do so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the end of this overview you will be able to:
- Describe common chronic respiratory diseases in older adults
- Understand the importance of smoking cessation
- Recognize the prevalence and incidences among older adults
- Review the recommendations for management and treatment
- Consider the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma in the older adult